Aug 6, 2007

It's been interesting traveling alone on this leg of the trip. I'm usually a very independent solo traveller, but I've never traveled by myself in Africa, and it seems neither do many other people. I've only met couples and families on this trip so far, other than one big group of folks from the States who are all traveling together. Very different than when I was in Argentina or previously in Europe, where it almost seems like there are more people solo than in groups. Anyways, I've felt totally at ease in most situations, and have been adopted by people along the way, which has been really nice. Traveling by myself is the best way to meet new friends :)

Case in point, on the plane to Zanzibar from Dar Es Salaam a few days ago, I met a guy named Ismail, who owns a popular restaurant in Stonetown, Mercury's. (Named after Freddie Mercury of Queen, who was born on Zanzibar). He invited me to have dinner with him and his wife when I got back from my beach vacation, which is today. My phone didn't work on the eastern side of the island where I was diving, but when I got back to Stonetown, I called Walter (mom's friend, publishing house), who told me that the Ismail I had met was actually a good friend of his as well! Small world... Anyways, I'm heading out to dinner at Mercury's tonight, after settling into my lovely hotel room (pictures below).

In other news, I wasn't able to meet up with my friend Michaela, after much emailing back and forth. She is climbing Kilimanjaro, but wanted to try to make it to Zanzibar first. Unfortunately, the incredible incompetence of US airlines foiled her plans as they did mine. Her flight from SFO to JFK was cancelled, meaning she missed her flights to Dubai, Nairobi, and ultimately Zanzibar. Such a bummer. Michaela, we'll have to make it back there at some point together :)


Picture of traditional Zanzibar hotel room decor:

No comments: