Jul 25, 2007

Coming to Ethiopia was about family and relaxation this time around. On previous trips, I've spent almost as much time outside of Addis as I have in the city, traveling to historical sites and spending time at the lakes near the city. However, this time, I resolved to try to stay around, see family, and recuperate from the last couple of crazy months. I've gotten to spend a lot of time with my aunts and uncles and have seen my grandmother twice already, so mission partially accomplished. Now, if I could just do that resting thing I've been trying to do...

I actually envy my grandmother for her boundless energy. She's in her mid-eighties, and is still running around, being the general of the little army that lives at her house. She directs the cooking, cleaning, schooling, nurturing and activities of several family and adopted family members, takes care of various grandchildren in the summer, and can still throw down on the dance floor! About the only flaw I've found so far is that she LOVES George W. You'll have to forgive her: she speaks no English at all, and is firmly convinced that Dubya is the only reason that the US has a democracy. No matter how many times we've tried to explain that he's not the reason for, but instead is trying to erode, democracy, she's a staunch supporter. I guess the silver lining is that as an Ethiopian citizen she can't vote for him :)



My general-grandmother, amazingly sitting still for a picture



Brian, me, and grandma



Isn't my cousin cute! We had never met before this trip, but she greeted me by launching herself up into my arms, and wrapping herself around me. I guess she's seen a picture or two :)

No comments: